The Founding of Peninsula Branch 62

 

On October 4, 1946 a meeting was held at the Clifton Hall to organize a Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion on the Kingston Peninsula. The meeting was called to order by Cyrill Wetmore. Roy Brien was elected as the first branch president. The name Peninsula was chosen because it would cover the area from the head of Belleisle Bay, Kingston and parts of Westfield and Springfield. Enrollment dues were $1.00 with yearly dues $3.00.

The Peninsula Branch 62 Ladies Auxiliary was established on October 27, 1947. With the first president being Mrs Gordon Henderson. The ladies have continued to provide valuable support to the branch over the years and remain our biggest asset.

The Clifton Hall was leased for 10 years at $12.00 per year and Charter members were selected, by-laws were prepared by Capt. W. O. Wetmore were approved in 1947.

Card parties were a way of fund raising for the Branch. The first social card party was held on April 10, 1948 with the first prize being a bag of sugar. Social evenings for members were held on the 3rd Saturday each month.

Periodic discussions were held regarding building a Legion Hall at Moss Glen. In June 1951 Craig Parker offered to donate 10,000 feet of standing lumber for the construction of a hall and Roy Brien offered to donate the land for the site. Roy Brien, Tic Smith, Robert Miller, Henry Waddell and Denny Sheldrick were appointed as trustees to look after the real property. They were authorized to borrow $10, 000.00 for the construction. Ed Hughes was appointed Building Inspector in September 1952. The new Legion Hall at Moss Glenn opened for business in September 1956.

In 1972 a sixteen foot addition was built. This became the new entrance to the main hall, converting the old entrance into a coatroom. In July 1990 a deck was constructed on the ball field side of the branch. A major renovation to the hall took place in 1994, with the construction of a new front entrance and addition to the front of the building.

In November 1975, the Memorial Cenotaph was moved from its original site at Macdonald Consolidated School in Kingston to the Legion grounds. This monument was originally erected at the school in 1949 by the Legion.

In 1999 Peninsula Branch 62 was proud to act as the sponsoring body to re-establishing the Army Cadet Corps today known as 140 Peninsula RCACC.

Our cenotaph holds the name of fallen comrades from the Kingston Peninsula that gave the ultimate sacrifice in service for this country.

 

Cenotaph Plaque